Per Niantic, those in Grant Park can unlock rewards (like double stardust) for everyone globally, while we outside can extend the length of these rewards (like for more days). If we all — inside and outside — win our challenges, then the mystery challenge will unlock. Everyone believes that the mystery challenge is legendary raid bosses! The only question is which.
(Golem with 2 rock moves is the go-to counter for all the legendary birds, as Tyranitar with 2 dark moves is for Mew and MewTwo. If you don't have those, try Omastar and Houndoom, or Sudowoodo and Gengar.)
During the worldwide challenge windows, if you can, go out and catch! Every capture counts. Check your time zone on GoHub. In Pacific Time, the windows are:
- Challenge #1 9:00 AM to 9:30 AM
- Challenge #2 11:00 AM to 11:30 AM
- Challenge #3 1:00 PM to 1:30 PM
(Sources: TrainerTips, Mystic7, Reversal, ProdigiesNation, GoHub, The Silph Road, GamePress, PokéAssistant, Niantic, Forbes...)
It's primarily directed at film writing, but I think it can be used for all types of narrative storytelling. I've been listening to The Art of Storytelling video series.
It starts out with "We are all storytellers," (I'm there still) which I think is an admirable point and has a number of their creators talking about their amateur efforts and how they got started, like Betty and Veronica fashion fanart. :)
It leads to characterization and story structure, and while I don't know that visual language is going to be terribly helpful to us print writers, it might give good ideas for descriptions of scenery to go around dialogue. There are also lessons and activities that you can do, should you choose.
(I can't find closed captions on Khan Academy, though. That's my one quibble thus far.)
One of my favorite pieces of writing advice is still this graphic: Pixar's 22 Rules of Storytelling.
No, I'm not saying they have to be YOUR rules too. I'm just saying I find the list as a useful set of way to help me go through one of my stories and figure out what's not working and what I need to do to make it work. Or sometimes, for me to just let go and stopy worrying at something, and maybe come back to it later.
I'm going to be trying to figure out what city I should be setting my urban fantasy in. (Or at least, what it should be an analogue to, geography-wise.)
I'll be on Discord for a couple of hours, if anyone wants to join me:
(This time I'll remember to edit the post to say when I log off Discord!)
"Oh, Beverly!" called Miss Fritton from her office, leaning over and waving one hand. Beverly could see one her out of the corner of one eye.
"What's that little knobbly thingummy you're pointing at the door?"
"It's a sonic screwdriver, miss!"
"What's it for?"
"Nothing, miss!" There was Dalek invasion and the First Years were busy lobbing explosives from the tower while Beverly - the Doctor, really, but she'd been undercover for years and thought of herself as Beverly still - remodulated the alarm system to broadcast a frequency that would short-circuit their disruptor beams. The Daleks, not the First Years.
Though Beverly privately thought the First Years infinitely more dangerous to let loose upon the human race than the Daleks, but she did have standards after all, and centuries of enmity with the Daleks to uphold.
"So what you're saying," said Miss Fritton, appearing in her doorway with an empty bottle of vodka in one hand, "is that we're out of vodka and you forgot to stock up, is that it?"
"Get the gin, miss," said Beverly, holding back a sigh.
Also it's just a really good article that's in the Celiac 101/Gluten 101 vein.
Here's the Deal with Gluten
'Glow' Star Betty Gilpin: What It's Like to Have Pea-Sized Confidence With Watermelon-Sized Boobs
Anyone seen it? What do you think? Alison Brie is in it, and I loved her in Community.
The pattern is free (and color-coded for each section, which is awfully nice), so even if you don't make it, you should either save it to your Ravelry library (if you have one) or download it for future planning purposes JUST IN CASE. It's pretty simple, and should you be looking to learn short rows, this is a good one for that.
It was also translated into French, should you be a native French speaker or wish to practice your French or French-based knitting skills. (I don't believe Ravelry pattern writers turn down translations of their patterns, should you wish to donate your time to spreading the fandom love, but if you are interested, the comments section on the pattern post is here, and my experience on Ravelry's comments has been generally pleasant.)
I should have started with the King Arthur's Flour sourdough starter recipe all along. Also used distilled water. Our water gets a distinct algae scent in the summer.
It's not that your teammates are feeding berries only to the weaker pokémon, as I initially wondered, myself. It's that the stronger pokémon are 10 times hungrier.
While at first this felt like nothing but a vile nerfing of our best defenders, I now see two ways it can be useful. First, in the new gym defender prize system, a trainer receives 1 coin for every 10 minutes defended, up to 50 pokécoins per day, received when the pokémon returns home. So if your goal is to maximize your pokécoins to spend (rather than your time-in-gym for your gym badge bonuses), you may want your pokémons' motivation to degrade faster, so that they will return to you promptly with those coins! Second, if your goal is precious, precious stardust, then a hungry 3K+ CP pokémon in a handy gym could give you more total opportunities to redeem berries at 20 stardust per berry.
For the month of June, in my corners of social journaling, here are the Forever Knight items that I happened to see:
Ficathons, fests and communities that welcome FK
- fkficfest finished releasing in June!
- fksquee had 6 posts.
- serendipityclaims is a new panfandom, "prompt table" community.
- genex, a panfandom gen, relationships exchange, has signups to 7/16.
- porn_tree, a panfandom, "prompt tree" community, has a new round to 7/31.
- iddyiddybangbang, a panfandom, 5K+ words challenge, has signups and prompting to 7/17.
- fandomgiftbox is a gifting fest a la Fandom Stocking (for summer).
- auexchange, a panfandom, alternate-universe exchange, has signups to 7/19.
- unconventionalcourtship, a panfandom, romance challenge, releases from 8/18 to 9/17 (signups seem open yet).
- scribblemyname, a traditional (100 words) drabble exchange, opens its collection on 7/16.
FK fanfiction & other fanworks
Archive of our Own (AO3) Summary: 11 of the 781 FK stories on the AO3 show posting dates in June.
- FKFicFest stories
- "Flicker of a Memory" by Merfilly (~1K words) (G, gen)
- "Five Things that Didn't Happen: Litovuterine-B Edition" by LastScorpion (~4K words) (G, gen)
- "An Orphan's Choice" by Nicholas_Lucien (~9K words) (G, gen)
- "Die & Rise" by MelissaTreglia (~2K words) (PG, m/f)
- "All That's Left You" by Batdina (~3K words) (unstated, gen)
- Other stories
- "Goodnight, Sweet Prince" by Mary44 (~8K words) (G, gen)
- "New Life" by Rhodrymavelyne (<1K words) (R, multi) (xover w/Highlander)
- "Almost Like a Quickening" by Rhodrymavelyne (<1K words) (R, multi) (xover w/Highlander)
- "It Was Vampires, Eddie" by Rhodrymavelyne (<1K words) (unstated, multi) (xover w/First Wave)
- "Amy's Story" by Dlyt (~2K words) (G, gen)
- "Hungry Like The Wolf" by Sanguisuga (~62K words) (R, m/m) (WIP) (xover w/Sherlock)
News & conversation:
- Upcoming new movie
- 6/22: nicholas_lucien discussed the starring/featured characters announcement for the upcoming movie.
- 6/22: melissatreglia expressed enthusiasm for Nick/Natalie promo photos from the upcoming movie.
- 6/10: nicholas_lucien reported the announcement that a Natalie will be in the upcoming movie, and that the Vachon runs a bar.
- 6/25: melissatreglia commented on ending her virtual fourth season.
- 6/22: nicholas_lucien marked Catherine Disher's birthday.
- 6/20: melissatreglia noted plans to write a lot of Nick/Natalie romance this summer.
- 6/11: pj1228 shared what she gave and received in this year's FKFicFest.
- 6/01: sharpest_asp pointed readers to FKFicFest, including the story she gave this year.